Monday, August 29, 2011

Trying to keep Post-Workout meals simple

I do not really care about nutrition.  Seriously, what a boring topic.  However, I'm finding that, even working out as much as I do and eating as smart as I think I do, I am not getting the results that I would like.

One of the new "features" of my blog is that I will discuss some elements of nutrition in its simplest form.  Frankly, if there are too many rules, I will screw them up or completely ignore them. 

Today's focus is the post-workout meal.  I have read a ton of articles, blogs, opinions, and even a little  actual research.  You will not be surprised to hear that these articles were all fairly inconsistent with each other and there was very little they agreed on.  It was like playing a game of "2 truths and a lie", except it was more "18 pieces of gibberish and 1 usable nugget."

Some of the points that the articles do have in common:
  • The post-workout meal is extremely important for muscle recovery.  You'll want to eat it within 1 hour and preferably within 30 minutes
  • Your body needs protein and carbs to rebuild itself after a workout
  • Fat slows down digestion, are not desireable in a post recovery meal
Many of the articles were intended for hard-core muscle-heads and recommended whey protein shakes with some sort of glycogen supplement mixed in.  Well, I don't really want to eat a shake or any supplements.  I also think steamed chicken and stir fry without copious amounts of soy sauce tastes like sh*t.  Tuna without mayonnaise?  F**k that.  My workouts are in the morning, and as a regular guy with kids and morning responsibilities, the act of making a separate breakfast just for me seems like an asinine waste of energy (and dirty dishes). 

I finally found a couple articles which were more my speed.  Their advice?  Drink a glass of milk!  In fact, Men's Health went so far as to say that chocolate milk was their #1 recommended recovery meal.  Another web publication, Stronglifts, showed a number of great reasons why milk should be your recovery meal of choice.

For me, a glass of milk isn't quite enough, so I'm going to add in a piece of fruit.  That's it - I'm going for it.  Milk and a piece of fruit for breakfast.  Since this probably won't be enough to get me through to lunch without raiding our Admin's candy dish (she always has Crunch bars and M&M's), my next step (and most likely, my next nutrition article) will be on mid-morning snacks.

Do you have any nutrition ideas or suggestions?  reply to my blog or send me a tweet @PMGeekAndy


No comments:

Post a Comment