Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Second breakfast? Elevensies?

I chose the title because "What the f should I do when my post-workout meal will not tide me over until lunch?" seemed kind of long.

My last dalliance into nutrition (at least in this blog) had me drinking milk and eating a piece of fruit for my post workout meal.  This in my opinion is already showing some results, but I'm hungry as hell by 9am.  I caught myself rocking the ho-ho machine last Tuesday...it was that damned bad.

Most of the strategies (suggested by most workout programs, including Body For Life) for improving your diet and physical condition involve increasing your metabolism through frequent small meals.  In other words, pigging out like a trailer park resident at a "Golden Corral" restaurant twice a day is not the appropriate way to improve your physical condition.  Bill Phillips, in his book "Body For Life" recommended eating six (6) meals per day, each with one carb and one protein (both the size of your fist) in it.  P90X and the Insanity have similar principles at a high level, but they are much more difficult to follow and evolve throughout the programs.

Hey - have you noticed something?  If diet is simple (Body For Life), I can stick to it pretty easily.  If diet gets too complex (P90X, the Insanity)...I pretty much ignore it.  Hmmm...I wonder if there's a future Fitness PM Thursday topic here...

My conclusion?  Add an extra meal in the morning...brining me to a grand total of four meals.  What I've started doing is going to our cafeteria at 9am and having an egg burrito with bacon and onions (hey - I'm not perfect) and skip the cheese, potatoes, etc.  I also liberally apply salsa to get my veggie and wash it down with water.  For lunch I have a salad, and for dinner I just fix whatever my lovely wife has put on the menu (usually something AWESOME that I have grilled...and used to have a mother).

While I'm thinking of it, WebMD has a nice slideshow list of how to boost your metabolism. Are you trying any of these?

No comments:

Post a Comment