Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Shake it up with a new workout partner

If you have read my previous blog posts, you may have discerned that I enjoy working out alone.  It's true.  I don't have to wait on anybody, I can do whatever I want, I can start when I want, and I can pass gas loudly without fear of retribution.

I have noticed that, even though I've been going through formal workout programs, that I have gotten into a rut.  The soreness that may accompany a good workout doesn't have that extra flair, and I'm not as amped up to get started on my workout.  Further - doubts have been creeping into my mind recently as to whether I'm getting better during my workouts or simply going through the motions.  Yep... that's a rut.

Saturday morning, my lovely bride said (something to the effect of) "Hey - sissy Nancy boy - let's drop the kids in the child care at the YMCA and get our swell on... or can't you hang?"  Wow.  Having the gauntlet thrown at 930am on a Saturday was a bit much, but I took the challenge.

Her mission was to do chest and biceps - and right away I realized that I have never focused on just these two things in one workout.  After, we would do some cardio on the machines.  Since this was her idea and her domain, I let her be the guide.

We worked on machines, which was new to me as I generally use free weights or perform body-weight exercises.  The machines were great for working out together since we weren't changing plates, grabbing different dumbbells, or etc.  These machines even allowed her to punch in a login id and record her workout.  I tried to mimic her rep count using my own weight, and found myself struggling as I was not used to the new exercises and high rep counts.  Afterward, we ran our little hearts out on the elliptical while watching the annoying "Genie Bra" infomercial for 35 minutes.

Judging by how sore I became, I found working out with my wife to be extremely beneficial.  Some reasons you may want to work out with a new partner:

  • New exercises:  I would not have tried any machines were it not for my wife.
  • Feedback:  If you are doing something incorrectly, a fresh set of eyes can give you feedback on your form, the amount of weight you are using, or remind you to take a break
  • Accountability:  You do not want to let your new partner down by not showing up!  Even more, if you tell your new partner your goal (e.g. I'm going to do a set of 15 using this weight!), you'll push yourself to "not let your new partner down".
  • Fun:  Working out had become like a job for me, and it took a new partner to realize how fun it can be to work out.

Even cooler than these reasons, I have become re-energized about my own (non-partner) workouts.  Looking forward to working out with my new partner is pushing me to work harder on my own time.

What benefits do YOU get from working out with a partner?  Give me a reply to my  blog or send me a Tweet @PMGeekAndy.

No comments:

Post a Comment