I am not a big drinker, but on occasion, I like to hoist a couple of my favorite cold drinks in honor of [INSERT OCCASION/PERSON/TEAM/ETC HERE]. These occasions will often fall on a day which I do not consider a "cheat day". What can a Regular Guy/Gal do to minimize impact to his/her waistline and workout regime while still caving in to peer pressure and not making the friends we are with feel like socially awkward drunks when we refuse alcohol?
I decided to embark on a not-very-scientific study to measure the number of calories, carbohydrates (if available), and alcoholic content by volume in a few different types of drinks:
- Blue Moon: It's a great Belgian white ale, and generally people squeeze an orange into it. I feel if you have to squeeze fruit into your beer, you may be a sissy...and Blue Moon stands pretty good on its own.
- Michelob Ultra: This is a great and very light beer, suitable for drinking while cleaning your garage or enjoying one of our senseless outdoor Arizona parties in 105 degree heat.
- Jack Daniels and Diet Coke: I LOVE diet coke. Combining Jack Daniels Tennessee Whisky and Diet Coke gives me (what I would assume would be) the same feeling as the guy who first combined peanut butter and chocolate.
- Margarita: In Arizona, a good standard margarita is a staple at Mexican food restaurants, backyard parties, Christenings, meetings with attorneys, and etc.
- Long Island Iced Tea: Oh yeah...I used to drink these puppies in college, and 15 years later have re-discovered them.
- Zinfandel: Yes, I enjoy a glass of red zinfandel (preferably old vines, preferably from a great winery such as Seghezio in Sonoma County)... any wine that you can drink with a slice of pizza doesn't seem too snobby to me!
- I will calculate calories PER SERVING using STANDARD SERVING SIZES
- You're a responsible adult (even though you're reading my blog) and will consume alcohol responsibly
I used WebMD's calorie counter for the information, and cross referenced against a number of other sources (e.g. Drinks Mixer's website - which was awesome) so it's probably good enough. Here's what I came up with:
|Caloric and Alcoholic content for some of my favorite drinks|
Was this helpful? Annoying? Respond to my blog or give me a shout on twitter - @PMGeekAndy. Now, I'm getting thirsty...