Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Demonstrative Tuesday - How to Perform a Push-up

I reviewed a workout that I suggested in one of my previous posts.  I looked at how I described the exercises and found myself wondering, "How on earth did I pass first grade?"  My descriptions were pretty terrible, and I am sure they have resulted in mass chaos and possible injuries (which I claim no actual liability for).

This leads me to "Demonstrative Tuesday"...where I'll create a video of me showing you how to do an exercise.  Some of these exercises will seem simple, but not everybody (including me) is an expert.  In fact, people do exercises incorrectly every day - preventing them from gaining the full benefit from performing the exercise.

This week, it's an exercise near and dear to my heart, the push-up.  It's near and dear to my wife's heart, too, since she wants me to get a massive chest like the dude in the movie "Thor" or the other guy in the movie "Captain America".  However, as a person who's done tons of push-ups in the Army, P90X, the Insanity and RushFit, I feel somewhat qualified to demonstrate how to do them.  As it turns out - I need to do even more.

This is a little simplistic, so try not to laugh at me too hard!  (wow - my hair is getting THIN)


And hey - if you've got any requests for exercise demonstrations (as long as they're relevant to exercise and don't involve me leaping from great heights) - send them to me.  The likelihood is, if you have the question, so does somebody else.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for giving the basics - a good refresher.

    When doing multiple push-ups, how do you manage your breathing? Do you consciously think about when you're inhaling and exhaling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joe: Thanks for the question - and I should have mentioned it in the video! For most exercises, you'll want to inhale on the "down" motion, and exhale on the "up". I try to focus on this when I'm working out, but when I'm doing a fitness test, it just happens naturally.

    ReplyDelete