Friday, August 26, 2011

Climbing the company ladder...with a mountain bike

Let's be clear:  I am a terrible mountain biker.  I literally have to apologize to the hikers and bikers I pass because I'm so erratic and unsteady.  While I haven't fallen off my bike in a while, I go so slow that I likely annoy everybody in front or in back of me.  It is not stamina or strength which I lack; I lack talent and practice.

I changed jobs a couple months ago to a team full of extremely technical, extremely introverted electrical engineers.  These are the sort of people who can figure out how to design circuits smaller than a gnat's buttcrack but cannot comprehend questions such as, "what would you like for lunch?" or "did you watch the Cardinals' game?"  My boss seems like a very nice person and is about my age, but I have no idea if he likes sports, has a family, eats Chinese food, reads books, etc...we only talk about work.

This brings me to my topic.  I was surprised to over hear my boss talk about mountain biking.  I poked my nosy head in and mentioned that I had a mountain bike (a pretty awesome one - Specialized Stumpjumper FSR) but I need lots of practice on it.  Well, as it turns out, he's got some sort of high dollar custom made wonder-bike and each weekend, he and a couple other managers from our organization get together and ride an extremely difficult trail in our area.  I have been invited to join them.


My awesome bike...which surpasses my abilities

My quandary:  I'd like to join as I think it would be a good chance to build team camaraderie, but my worry is that I will suck sh*t as a team bicyclist or have a spectacular accident for them to talk about.  Even worse, I fear that I will see these guys in their nuthuggers/bicycling shorts and that image will pop into my head each time I run into them in the hallway.  (note:  my bike shorts have the padding but hide my shame under normal looking shorts).

My strategy:  get out and practice on the local, easier trail a couple times a week, with the goal of biking with the group in October when the weather is a little cooler.  I will use the heat as an excuse.

Have you had to do a sport or some physical activity to bond with co-workers?  What did you do?  How did you prepare?  (and what were the results?) 

Reply or send me a shout-out on twitter:  @PMGeekAndy

No comments:

Post a Comment